The article entitled "Everyday Writing" that we read I found very interesting. It made me think about how much actual writing I do in a day and in how many forms. I write for classes obviously, notes, papers or exams, but there is many other places I compose in as well. I update my Facebook two to three times a week, I write two to three emails a week, and I make grocery lists. I also have to put in work orders for work. I work here at U of M-Flint in the housekeeping department, in the Rec Center, and anytime I find a lightbulb burnt out or something not working I have to go through the Facilities Management page and put in a work order. Also for work, we have inter shifts that we write any pertinent things that the other shift, there is a morning and a night shift for housekeeping, might need to know. In a day I might use four different forums to write and probable write for a total of three hours minimum out of my day. That is a lot more writing than I ever realized I did.
The other article I found interesting was the "There's An Art To Writing On Facebook". First, the mere fact that Facebook is so huge that people are debating about what a proper update on it is seems crazy to me. Facebook used to be just for college students, and it was big but not half as huge as it is now. Second, I feel like Facebook is a place where you don't have to be witty and charming necessarily. For most people our everyday lives are pretty mundane. We get up go to work or school, come home do homework or yard work or watch TV, and then we go to bed, wake up the next day and do it all over again. Weekends might be a little more thrilling or occasionally something exciting will happen at work or school, but on average most of us are never going to have some update on Facebook that is better than "Class was really boring today" or "Eating takeout Chinese". I feel there is nothing wrong with telling my friends on Facebook that I'm bored and watching the Food network or writing a paper for English. That is my life 90% of the time so why shouldn't I share it on the page that is supposed to be all about that life? The article we read condones those of us who do put up our "boring" updates saying we must be more clever or funny. I say if you want to be clever or funny, go for it. But if on the other hand all you can say for the past day or so in your life is that you are tired and still have 100 pages of reading to do for the next days class, well that's just fine too.
Thursday, September 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment